Mayor Rokhsana Fiaz OBE has been elected to serve as the Mayor of Newham for a second term following Mayor and Borough wide councillor elections on 5 May 2022.
Speaking after her electoral victory Mayor Fiaz said: “It has been the privilege of my life to serve as your Labour Mayor of Newham for the past 4 years; and it is the greatest honour to be re-elected to serve the people of Newham for the 4-years coming.
“I will fight your corner – and will make sure that the Council lives up to the promises I have made to the voters of this great borough.
“And take action on all things that matter for all our people to build a fairer Newham.
The Mayor pledged to take action:
- On fly-tipping so we have cleaner streets and neighbourhoods
- To deliver more homes that our people can afford – with a guarantee of an additional 1,500 coming.
- On private landlords, to improve the housing conditions that a third of our residents live in.
- And drive the highest standards in Newham’s private rented sector – through tougher enforcement.
- Campaign for housing security for renters in our borough, including rent controls to stop exploitative profiteering by private and rogue landlords who rip off our residents and leave them in unsafe housing.
- And continue to take action in response to the Climate Emergency.
You can read Mayor Fiaz’s full speech here